Monday, August 8, 2016

Resignation

Last week I mentioned a possible job offer and how I was taking the appropriate steps to better prepare myself.

Well, I did in fact receive the job offer. You work so hard to present yourself and your skills in the best way to hopefully receive that job offer. What I didn't know was how I'd end up feeling actually getting the job offer.

The nerves that I didn't feel during the interview were officially live and present. I worked for this and I wanted this, so why was I so nervous?

I think it's normal to be nervous. Sure you wanted this but now you're realizing things are about to change if you accept the offer.

The routines you know and the day to day work you've done for over 3 years aren't going to be there anymore. You're going to work with new people and take on new tasks. You're going to work longer hours but also receive better compensation. There's a give and take that comes with accepting a new job. Does the reward of this new position outweigh the risk of leaving familiarity?

Friday, I called the owner and officially accepted this new position. I felt that I was ready to take on this new adventure and that this was going to be the best fit for me. I'm sure my voice was shaky as I told him my decision but his comment that I "made his Friday with this news" reminded me I was making the right decision.

While I felt so much excitement for what lies ahead with this opportunity, I felt this dread in the back of my mind for what I had to do come Monday morning.

I officially had to resign from my job this morning and state when my last day of work would be.

I think something has to be said when you dread resigning from a job.

Sure, it's awkward to tell someone you're leaving their company but that's not why I dreaded this talk. Some people jump at the opportunity to turn in their two weeks notice because they can't wait to get out of there. This wasn't the case for me either.

I actually enjoyed my job and specifically the people I work with.

I've gotten to experience and learn so many new things during my time here. I've made some great friends who made me look forward to coming to work every day. Sure there were times that sucked but that happens every where.

As I shared my news with my manager and co-workers, they told me how much they'd miss me but understood why I had chosen to leave. I'm glad I was able to have a positive impact on those around me while I was there.

Just a few more weeks until I start this new job. I can't wait to see where things go from here! As so many have told me, this is just another step in adulthood and "Welcome to the real world!".

No comments:

Post a Comment